Wednesday, 22 May 2013

004. Laying down some colours - Ork Nob...

Back again for another go round, proving my aim to make time for hobby each week is succeeding, with the missus getting in on the act too, chastening me if I put off some form of hobby two nights in a row.

Tonight I sat down while she finished the preparations for tea, I got in 45 minutes in which I started on some of the colour components on the Ork Nob.  My aim tonight was to get the red bits (technical term that) done, so I pulled out a Scorched Brown, Mechrite Red, Blood Red and Blazing Orange and cracked on.

'Arry, the photogenic Ork, and my current painting target modelling with some paint

I also figured out tonight why my camera is making things have a blue tint like the exhibit above - it turns out the missus had changed the settings so the light source was set to an indoor light setting rather than an auto - easy fixed once I figured out how the menu screens worked.  On another note, I've asked the missus for a new fancy pants camera and tripod setup for my birthday this year which she is now pondering.

First layer down consisted a mix of Scorched Brown and the Mechrite Red.  It gives a nice base to work from for the later mixes.  I use an old synthetic paint brush that I think came from a starter paint set for this as it is slightly splayed and perfect for giving a random pattern.  I generally splotch the base colour down, leaving metallic bits showing through on most of the edges and other high spots.

As an aside, one of the things I was talking to Col. Scipio about in the comments on my last post was  that I put down the metallics first and then the colour over the top, leaving bare metallics showing through for the wear and tear look.  One of the old GW manages once pointed out to me that when you scratch paint of something the result is layer of paint, layer of primer, then bare metal.  As a hobbyist, I used to paint the top colour and then add the black primer and then the metal layer for scratches - the reverse of what happens in a natural setting.  You could achieve a natural effect with the salt and hairspray/other masking method, but I find the approach I have with the Orks the easiest one for me for infantry figures.

First splotchy layer - Scorched Brown and Mechrite Red - leaving metal showing in prominent areas

Next I added some Blood Red to the mix and dabbed that around over the last layer, as well as in some places, over the bare metal.  This represents the top layer over the top of the primer layer, or straight over the top of the metal where a scratch has stripped straight back to metal.

Second layer - with added Blood Red

The final step is to add a bit of Blazing Orange as a kind of highlight layer. Again, I just splodge it around, leaving parts of the previous layers showing through.


I may have got my images out of order, or doubled up - but pretend this is showing what I described above.

The final process was to add some highlights (not shown in pictures unfortunately as I forgot I was meant to be documenting these steps) to the bare metals as the previous posts washes had really knocked all the shininess from the paints.  I'm in the process of switching over my paints to Vallejo Model and Game Colour series' dropper bottles and have the Gunmetal Grey and Oily Steel metallic colours.  At the moment, Id have to say they aren't as good as the old Bolt Gun Metal and Chainmail that I had grown up with.  They are quite thick, and thinning with water or an acrylic thinner doesn't seem to do anything but stretch out the pigment (another technical observation!).  I must investigate some other metallic paint ranges.
 
Now at this stage I should have stopped, but I didn't, and I did my usual thing of washing everything I have just done with a Devlan Mud wash.  Washes are evil.  No there not.  I just don't have the control to leave things well enough alone.  As usual, the wash while wet made everything pop, but that's the effect of having a satiny product on top of something matte, and not the natural state.  After it dried, all my layering looked a bit pants, and the colours washed out, so I went back and reapplied the last red mixture.

At this point I also went ahead and added some checks to the war axe (not shown in picture below so you'll have to trust I'm telling the truth) and whitened the bones on the Boss Pole.  For both I started with a Shadow Grey base, then progressively added Skull White.  My love affair with Orks stems from the ability for somewhat sloppy work to fit right into the theme of the model.  For example, for the checks I dutifully laid out a basic grid pattern and then sloppily filled it in - it was a neat sloppy and not a sloppy sloppy - so its intentional sloppy if you get my drift.

WIP Nob posing with un-named grunt and 'Arry, the photogenic Nob

And there we are.  Thats where I left it for tonight.  Tomorrow I will paint the base and then lay down the skin base and probably work that right up before moving onto everything else - skulls, braces/wrist straps, pants etc.

Cheers all,

Pom

2 comments:

  1. These are looking absolutely superb, they really pop as it were. Keep up the great work sir! As for my approach to metals, I do a combination of the two so the metallic paint is sandwiched lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers for the positive comments Headologist.

    The last stage is pretty much a sandwhich stage - ie adding back more bare metal to replace that which the washes and application of red has taken away.

    ReplyDelete