Saturday, 7 September 2013

010. Sucker for new shiny stuff...

Hi all.  Long time no post.  Babies are time whores - between work and baby commitments there has been little time for anything at all hobby related, although I wouldn't change our current situation for anything in the world - she is the best decision the missus and I ever made - a really gorgeous little thing (I know I am biased but I figure I'm allowed to be).

The two hours I spend on a bus each day doesn't let me get any hobby done, but it does give me plenty of time to follow the goings on of my fellow bloggers and the broader hobby world. Its been a bit hard to miss the impending release of the new Space Marines range and I am the first to admit it caught me up in all the hype and hasn't let me go.


Opening spread artwork - Wow - this in black and white would be something else
Earlier this week, as soon as pre-orders went up, I put in an order through a LGS (not actually local as its in Canberra and I'm in Adelaide - Black Cultist for anyone playing along at home - they provide a handy 21.5% discount which helps ease some of the 'GW Australia Tax' pain) for the latest Codex and the plastic Librarian.

New Codex - I didn't splash out for a fancy one
The new Libby - best of the new plastic characters - but pricey
This has been my  first GW (not counting FW or eBay pick ups) purchases in around 18 months.  The prices didn't shock me as much as I thought given I had been following that trend as well across various blogs/forums.


Some of the new artwork - reworking an older theme
Although I haven't liked GW as a corporate entity for a long while now, I cannot doubt they do have themselves the best game setting (in 40K at least - my interest in the Old World is not what it was), and they can churn out some of the most visually stimulating miniatures (as well as the odd pile of crap - I'm looking at the Centurions here - simply boggling what they were thinking they needed those for).

Classic image - now in colour
Another classic re purposed in colour
And its not just GW. More and more its FW that I turn too if I am looking to ease my craving to look at something pretty and drool.  And this morning I woke up to these guys.  Wowsers.  I wouldn't buy them as I don't fancy ever painting pink/purple, but, they are stonkingly good looking miniatures.

Wowsers - awesome stuff here
I had fancied picking up some of the other new kits too - the Sternguard in particular are another 'Wow' kit - the old metal versions were good, but there is something else to be said about plastic - and with the Marine range everything benefits from being multi part and plastic - the bits swapping opportunities are huge.  Although I didn't get them immediately, I imagine at some point a box will work its way to me along with the new Tactical kit, just for sheer bits madness.


Oh yeah - these guys look the part
Looking at what I already have on the shelves of shame in the form of Marines in various colours, it got me thinking about re purposing, recolouring, re branding and relaunching my oldest army on the shelves.  It might be time to bring out the simple green, strip my old 'grey' Marines and reinvigorate them as the boys in blue of yester-year (my very first painted miniatures [like many other bloggers I would assume] were Ultramarines - couldn't help it when all the box art pictured the boys in blue and as a young lad I didn't have a lot of other influences that could have led to alternate colour choices).

Now painting time is still a challenge, but as the little miss starts forming a decent bed time routine, I am finding I have a spare 45-30 minutes each night before I head of to bed which I could start re purposing for me / hobby / painting time.  I'm accepting the fact the days where I could spend a whole day / weekend faffing about in my painting / hobby space and do what I like are over.  But that shouldn't stop me letting the inner man-child geek side of me loose every now and then and push on with some hobby!!

GW at its finest - multi part heaven
So hopefully over the next little bit I can start my painting up again, and start showing some more progress on my hobby stuff.  My Ork Nob from months back is still sat on my desk so close to being finished.  It may be the right time to look at getting him done and maybe play around with some Marines again.

Happy hobby all - and keep pumping out your posts - it really does help pass the hours of boredom on the bus to and from work!

Cheers,

Muppet.

2 comments:

  1. Welcome back, man! Glad to hear things are going well with the littlest muppet!

    ReplyDelete