Tuesday, 17 September 2013

011. Gorka Morka Ork Nob finished...

Finally finished!
I think the title says it all.  I sat down last night after the wee one had gone to bed and finished of this Nob who has been on the go for a couple of months now.  Its an old Gorka Morka Nob which I swapped out the left axe hand for a plastic Nob pistol, and the entire right arm for another plastic Nob Choppa.  I also switched out the head (the original had a much smaller head - obviously GW have played with the proportions since this mini was originally made ~1999) for another bit from my Bitz Box - useful thing it turned out to be for this job.

Colour scheme is straight out of my normal Ork approach as is seen in my next picture - the family shot of all my Nobz / Banner Boy / Warlord.  The new one is a bit of the runt.

Family Photo - 'Arry the Photogenic Ork looks massive next to the new one
After finishing up the Nob I picked up the Prospektor Ork I had started around the same time (also from Gorka Morka I believe) and laid down the base coat for the skin.  I'm hoping to push him on a bit this week.

WIP Prospektor Ork
And finally for tonight, a look back down memory lane.  These are the very first miniatures I painted up when I was about 12 or 13 - they came in the old Citadel Paint Set circa 1997.  I hand painted a Skull White base coat and then applied some very uneven layers of blue, red and yellow.  The notional Sergeant got a yellow skull to distinguish him from the scrubs.  

Looking back in time - circa 1997
These guys are currently in a bath of Simple Green.  Garfy's post over on Tale of Painters (here) plucked at my old nostalgia heart strings and made me dig these out of the back of a drawer.  My interest in Space Marines was rekindled following last posts launch of the new Codex and thought I might have a go sprucing these guys up a bit.  I did keep a set of plastic Terminators from the same era in their original paint scheme so all my original efforts are not lost.

And that's it for tonight.

Happy hobby all.

Muppet

4 comments:

  1. Very nice- all oozing Orky war goodness.

    That Tail of Painters post really does put those old seemingly crappy models in a new retro cool light. I'm sure you will do an amazing job on them.

    Simple Green? I had to Google it. I just use engine degreaser. What is this Simple Green like?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Col. Simple Green is a yank invention I believe. A lot of bloggers use it. I got mine from Bunnings. I have the already diluted spray bottle kind plus a concentrated version although that comes with an orange scent as they haven't stocked the plain version concentrate for a while. I used to use brake fluid until I came across this. works really well. I use it to help get rid of FW release agent as well.

      Delete
  2. Very nice work - I do like those Orks. The ones you do always seem a bit darker than the radiant green most 'Eavy Metal figs end up looking like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two Colonels in one comment thread!

      Cheers good sir. I do prefer the darker skin tone. I was considering going for a more muted brown green tone with the Prospektor but the base mix I started with hasn't picked up the brown tinge I was hoping it would.

      Delete