Thursday, 19 September 2013

012. Simple Green...

The good Col. Ackland queried my reference to Simple Green in my last post.  Its a tool many hobbyists I've seen around the blogs use to strip miniatures.  To my knowledge its a yank invention and unlike Dettol or Brake Fluid, isn't harmful to your health, although I have worn gloves when handling it at stronger concentrations.

Simple Green in some of its varied forms
I normally use the basic green flavoured variety but my local stockists (Bunnings) stopped selling the concentrate version, instead picking up the same formula in Orange scent - same product, this one simply smells fruitier.  They also did a two pack deal including the concentrate with a premixed spray.

When I last popped into the shop though (Bunnings at Noarlunga Col. - not sure if you are that far south or further North but I know the Marion store also had it in when I popped in there - its in the cleaning aisle) they had the trusty green in a pre-mix back in so I picked up a bottle.  Not only is it good for stripping minis, but it actually does what it says on the bottle - all purpose cleaning.

After first picking it up a while back I swiftly converted the missus to its varied uses around the house - its a really good cleaning product.  The red version (not pictured) is a great carpet cleaner - perfect for all the little miss's various bodily explosions; while the blue one is a decent window/mirror cleaner (although there are better products out there for that purpose).

I generally chuck things into a deep bowl and cover with diluted concentrate (no real ratio used - a guesstimate is fine, determined with reference to how much gunk needs to be stripped (paint or mold release agent)) or straight out of the bottle for the mixed variety.  I then leave it for a number of days - the latest one has been a week but every couple of days I add a few more minis I have stumbled across in my current clean up into the bowl and give it a good stir.  Occasionally I'll pop a mini out of the soup and give it a little scrub with an old toothbrush.

After a while its a case of getting the mini out and generally the paint layers will come straight off down to the primer layer - I've had a bit of luck getting that off if I scrape a blade across the surface to break it up a bit and then re submerge it in Simple Green, but generally I leave it as is.  I'll give the mini a rinse with warm water to remove any lingering Simple Green and then its good to go again.

Good stuff, and cheap enough for what I use it for.  The only thing its ever balked at was the last packet of Heresy Armour I got from FW which had release agent about 2mm thick - I'm slowly having to carve that stuff off as nothing I have hit it with has even touched it yet.

So there you go, a look at the cleaning products in use in the Muppet household!!

Cheers all,

Muppet.

6 comments:

  1. Ah ha! Awesome, cheers Muppet!
    Noarlunga Bunnings is my local, so I’ll pop down on the weekend and pick some up. I know other blogs have compared stripping agents before but in those that I have seen they conclude with something that I can’t find here in Oz. It will be good to replace the engine degreaser – that stuff is really nasty!
    Thanks heaps for the info!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too easy Col. Happy to help a fellow Blogger out.

      Delete
  2. Aye, Simple Green is thoroughly awesome for both hobby use and just general cleaning. Glad you're able to find it, that dettol sounds like nasty stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, Dettol is actually an antiseptic medical fluid your meant to use to swab cuts and the like as well as being a general disinfectant. It smells horrible though. The brake fluid was by far the worst chemical agent I've used to strip models. Smelly and could bitten your skin is you weren't careful.

      Delete
  3. Strange concoctions I've never heard of over here in dear old Blighty - I usually do Dettol but I've just done a quick search and I can order this stuff, so I might stock up. Can also get Mountain Dew while I'm at it.

    (Btw Muppet not sure why, but none of your posts seem to show up on my blogroll hence why I've not been round for a while. I know to check manually now, anyway!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Colonel. I'll have a look in the settings and see if i switched something off. I was having problems with my roll the other week.

      I've found recently the Simple Greenhad been really effective on metals but the plastics needed a bit more grunt work from me to clean up. I think the paint and plastic must bind better at a chemical level the longer the paint had been on.

      Delete