Wednesday, 13 November 2013

016. Avatars of War shinies...

A lovely package turned up in the mail the other day (oh how I love the receipt of a "what's this package that just turned up!?" message from the missus) and it had in it a couple of Avatars of War heroes.  
Front of package
Rear of package

I wanted to add some mercenaries to the warband during the future campaign and looking through the book decided on an Ogre and a Dwarf Slayer.  Having settled the sort I wanted I then started my trawl through eBay to see what I could turn up.

Eventually I found the Avatars of War range which appear to be designed to fit with GW systems, and look the business without being something you see on every table top.
Slayer bits

With Rodrick for scale
They come in some really big plastic blister packs that seem slightly over large for the minis they contain - there's a potential cost saving for you Avatars of War - scale back on your packaging.

They are both multi part white metal, and both had minor mold lines but a fair bit of metal flash - easy enough to clean up.  Assembly was straight forward although on reflection I think I got the Slayers Mohawk on backwards.
Ogre bits
Another scale shot
I used James Wappels greenstuff and glue technique but need to work on that as I got good results only 2/3rds of the time.  I went back over some of the joins with some liquid greenstuff just to tidy them up a bit.

They seem to fit in well - the Ogre is huge though I don't have any GW ones to compare him too.  The photos were taken the other day - you can be assured the Heroes have had some more paint applied since then.
Group shot for scale
Back to it then, cheers all.

Muppet

2 comments:

  1. These are coming together very nicely indeed! Excellent work. Never really seen the Avatars of War minis before, might have to give them a proper look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Kieran. They do make some nice Fantasy stuff - a lot of the team appear to be ex GW sculptors so they have a design flair similar to what you would expect of the Warhammer Fantasy setting.

      Delete