Monday, 13 January 2014

022. WIP Tactical Marine (post 2)...

WIP Tactical (Combat) Squad of the Third Company, Ultramarines Chapter
I had a little bit of painting time last night which saw me do a brief tidy up on the blue, add a bit of Guilliman Blue glaze to some of the armour, play around a bit more with the skin tones, bronze in the eagle on the Bolter and settle on red (the Third Company) as my shoulder guard colour.

I've also picked out the next four Marines to receive their paint once I finish of my test subject.  This will give me a fully painted combat squad from one of my two Tactical Squads I have taken in my list.

My test subject needs some highlights on the metallic areas and Bolter casing, as well as free hand tactical symbol and Chapter badge.  I also want to go through and tighten up some of the armour highlights.

I'm quite tempted to follow the example of the Raven Guard in the new Codex and only paint the company colour on the right shoulder guard, leaving the trim on the left the same colour as the rest of the armour.  My test mini didn't have a trim on his left so I don't know how it will look.  It suits the Raven Guard but may not suit my Ultramarines.

Just the quick update tonight.  Cheers all,

Liam

11 comments:

  1. Looking very snazzy Liam. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that. asymmetry appeals to me though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do quite fancy it myself. Cheers for popping over Karitas.

      Delete
  3. The level of painting here continues to impress. I have to say I like the asymmetry too - always have done, shoulder pads and epaulettes for some reason always look cooler on just one shoulder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its the rule of cool I fear for these Marines then - if the two of you think its good, and I was already partial to it, then I think thats the outcome of that deliberation

      Cheers Colonel.

      Delete
  4. Looks great! I have to agree with the others; the asymmetry works well here. It gives him more of a serious military feel.

    I look forward to seeing more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks bloody cracking sir. Like the really bold colours,looks bloomin' lovely. Definitely think just the right shoulder pad in the company colour will look spot on. Like Karitas and Scipio, I'm a fan of asymmetry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kieran. I've been wanting to crack on with these lads and get the first one finsihed up and did have a go at painting on Tuesday but realised quite quickly painting in 44+ degree celcius temperatures aren't conducive to good work. Its been like that all week unfortunately - apparently there is a cool change coming through tonight so maybe this weekend I can get back on the brushes.

      Delete