Sunday, 30 March 2014

033. Plucky chaps and the jammy git...

Col. Ackland, Dale, James and myself got together for a 4,000pts a side, 2 on 2 match up today - what a blast we had!  The Col. (henceforth known as the Beard), and James (the Fodder on account of baring the brunt of casualties on his side of the board) teamed up with a mix of Guard and Salamander flavoured Space Marines against Dale with his Space Wolves and my mixed Guard/Ultramarines.

The title of my post relates to the underlying tone of the day, mine and Dales minis being the plucky chaps, wading forward stoically into the teeth of the Beards guns!

I'll let the pictures do the talking,  but I will say up front for all the pie plates getting dished out from one corner in particular, great fun was had by all, pizza and beer was consumed, and lots (and lots) of dice were rolled.

Onwards to a pictorial battle log.
Ray set up a fantastic board for us to play across
Dale and my deployment - we held some Wolf Terminators and a Tactical Squad in a Drop Pod in reserve
Ray the Beard castled up in his corner behind his Aegis lines with a mix of Cannon and blob squads
James had a mix of Vindicators, Land Speeders, Attack Bikes with a couple of Scout Squads and a Combat Squad as his Troop selection - quite the mobile force to contrast Ray's big guns
My Tactical Squad Drop Pods in and unleashes a Melta blast stripping a Vindicator of its main cannon
James' Scouts and Rays Ratlings start taking fire from my advancing Sentinels
The advance has begun - My Tactical Squad in the Rhino captures our point
Dale, the Beard and James survey the lay of the land as the lads think about where to 'bring the rain' in their turn
James Drop Pods in a couple of Dreadnoughts that start barbecuing Guardsmen on our left flank
My casualties after the first round of shooting - most of a Guardsman squad to James Flamer Dread, a Platoon Command to a Manticore shot from Ray, and some Tactical Marines care of James' Land Speeders
Dales first attempt to bring on his Terminators did not end well - back to the ship lads!
Not a fan of the new Gets Hot Roll for vehicles - first shot with this bad boy sees me lose a hull point
My Punisher following Dales Land Raider up the line
Ray quite proud about his Beard tactics
It took me two turns to realise that James had hidden a Combat Squad amongst Ray's blobs
Pie plates start making holes in my Guard
The Company Command and Lasmen from two squads go down to a Manticore blast
One of many Manticore, Earthshaker and later on Heavy Mortar pie plates to get lobbed our way.
Two Chimera and 3 Land Speeders are enough to make my Drop Pod and Tactical Squad disappear from the lower right hand corner of this image
See - my Drop Pod and Tactical Squad join the casualties - the Executioner had fallen victim to a pie plate of doom
Playing off the short edges wasn't our smartest move - it made slogging up the length of the board a pain - particularly with pie plates landing every which way
Dale finally got the Terminators on the board care of another scatter - these lads didn't fair well come Rays shooting turn
A couple of Sky Claws also dropped in to the party
Thunder Wolves and Terminators start joining the piles of the dead
Not a great set of dice rolls by Dale - those 1's saw off the Terminators to Rays 60+ las shots
Marley was worn out by the constant dice rolling
What squadron of Land Speeders are you talking about chief?
Oh that one - what a shame they ran into my Gatt!!!
James being a jammy git with his saves for his Scouts
These Scouts held on for a bit against the Sky Claws
My grunts following the heavy stuff forwards
Ray finally leads his boys out of the corral and heads towards his objective
The heavy guns out of rockets - but the Heavy Mortars filled the gap left
Showing dash and derring-do, the last of the Thunder Wolves attempts to deny the objective - advancing into the guns of the entire enemy side.  SPOILER: it did not end well
Vendetta Lascannons do for the Thunder Wolf
A few foot stragglers attempt to clear our table half - what a slog the day turned out to be - more transports are needed if we play this way again
Adding some cheese to the beard
A final look back over the field of battle
James and Ray took the victory 5-3 having claimed their objective, first blood and my Warlord.  Even with the loss, the beers had been cold, the pizza warm, and the laughs were plenty.  I couldn't have asked for more from a day of gaming.

Next time Ackland, next time....

EDIT:  Here is the link to Col. Acklands blogpost on the battle.  Much more narrative than my effort.

Cheers all,

Muppet

13 comments:

  1. Great looking table, and looks to have been a really fun game! Good stuff, man. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Mordian. Was a great day. We're planning a smaller set of games for our next catchup.

      Delete
    2. I did have a lot of fun putting that battle field together. After doing so, I really want to get back stuck into finishing off various terrain pieces for future games.

      Delete
  2. Dear God - that looks amazing!

    Such a brilliant looking table, and it's always strangely gratifying to see the butcher's bill after a good round of shooting - regardless of who's on the receiving end!

    Mind you, the most amazing thing for me is the space you're playing in: it looks bigger than my entire cottage...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The shooting got off to a late start considering how much was being shot across the board but the tally rose quickly after the second turn.

      Move down under Drax and you to can own your own piece of suburban sprawl.

      Delete
    2. I second that. Loads of space for you here Drax!

      Delete
  3. A great write up Muppet! Your photos are so much better than mine!!! I think the little man may have smudged up my camera lends.
    as for your pre game taunting.... you thought I was joking when I said I was planning to wipe out everything by turn two, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha - your post had me loling at my desk. Got some funny looks from the other guys at work.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is that a real Skellington ?

    ReplyDelete
  6. The mastodon skeleton? Not sure where Ray got that from

    ReplyDelete
  7. I though Zzzzzz might be referring to my scrawny skeletal legs in that 2nd to last photo.

    http://disney.wikia.com/wiki/Jack_Skellington

    Like our friend Jack Skellington, I too am gifted with near-invincibility! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I did wonder if that was the reference being made by didn't link it to you.

    ReplyDelete