Wednesday, 9 April 2014

036. The warband grows plus WIP sniper-fiend...

I pushed on with the mini while the mojo was flowing and got him done tonight.  Quite chuffed with that - 2 minis in one week - loving my hobby life at the moment!
Front shot
Rear shot
Hanging with his chum
Having finished off the Priest, I looked at the other three I had on the desk and layered on some brown tones on the Enforcers pup - not much doing there as he's just a dog after all - and then went to work on Larkin, seeing as I already had some brown tones mixed up.

I'm working fast with these guys while the painting-fu is strong which means I am aiming for gaming to high-end gaming standards rather than bogging myself down trying to over-achieve and achieving nothing.
Here's looking at you kid.  Brown tones with highlights and wash on the camo cloak and rifle swaddling
I'll need to go back in tomorrow and tidy off the highlights - but I'm liking the drab look I've achieved so far.  He's also got my favourite 'gritty' base so far
I've been messaging back and forth with Col. Ackland about how these boys can get onto the table and we seemed to be moving closer to an idea of playing some Necromunda/INQ28/Inquisimunda and tonight I stumbled upon a fan compiled Inquisimunda ruleset that I wouldn't mind digging down into.

Cheers all,

Muppet

14 comments:

  1. Awesome looking minis there! I always loved that priest sculpted by Brian Nelson; he is just brimming with character (I also love the old school plasma rifles). Really nice paint job of the priest too; the caution strips on his chainsword look great as does the gold/bronze on the model.

    Mad Larkin is looking really nice at the moment too. I like the grey/brown of his cloak and the drab worn look of his base.

    Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Adam. The Priest range generally is up there on my favourite 40K minis list.

      Delete
  2. What a smashing model. This hobby vibe is brilliant for you, but I'm also enjoying these lovely pics. How did you do the plasma gun glow, may I ask? That's exactly the look I try to go for but rarely manage to pull off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Colonel. The plasma was made easy by the sculpt itself. Nice detail picks up the brush strokes so easily. The plasma was done with one of the older dark blues from GW then a wipe over the ribs with Ice Blue and then a few more layers with white mixed in until it's all white. I gave it a wash in the rib recesses with the old blue wash and then a light blue glaze over tops of the ribs. I tossed up taking some of the layers out over the casing for some osl but have never really managed that well.

      Delete
  3. Absolutely lovely! That face is so imposingly characterful, and I love the hazard stripes too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Drax. All the minis so far have had really nicely sculpted faces which have happily enough painted up reasonably well.

      Delete
  4. Fantastic minis, FM. Can't help thinking that their conversation down the pub might be a little stilted...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just a little bit - though I'm sure even an Ecclesiarch Priest has a drop of vino every now and then.

      Cheers Zzzzzz

      Delete
  5. Okay, so my previous comment regarding the hazard stripes is null and void - teaches me to not read ahead a bit before commenting, eh?

    =I=munda is a very fun system. Would really like to hear your thoughts on how it plays. Using the Necromunda rules set has always been cool, but adding in all the fun of Inquis-teams, Xenos, IG, Crimelords and making it feel far more filled-out fluff-wise. Always loved Necromunda, but never understood why it was just about the gangs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. Yes it sometimes pays to review a feed fully before comment.

      The inquisimunda expansion introduces since great themes. I only briefly liked through it the other night to see how the inquisitor retinue warband works. Looks like fun.

      Delete
  6. I know so little about this system it's not even funny, but colour me interested! Anyone care to summarise it for a feller please?

    Also, you all ought to check this post out: it's a smashing idea for any system, but surely it'd be rather fun for Inquisimunda in particular...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Link: http://johnstoysoldiers.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/salute-14-steampunk-hive.html

      Delete
    2. I saw that post from John this morning. Looks a cracking bit of scenery to play across. I remember an old white dwarf article years ago where they built a vertical give to play across.

      Delete
    3. As for the game system. It's just necromunda with inquisitor warbands added fit variety. So small scale skirmishing. I'm really only scratching the surface of it at the moment. I like the modelling potential it offers over the large input of larger games of 40k.

      Delete