Thursday, 29 May 2014

042. Terrain - something different...

The mojo I had to paint figures has fallen by the wayside, but that hasn't stopped my mind from devising new things to try.

The other week Garfy over at Tale of Painters posted about the terrain he was doing up in homage to, and to complement the second edition box set he was painting up.  To say I was impressed is an understatement - he turned a simple idea, using some very basic terrain bits, into some quite handy terrain that perfectly suited the set.

Then over the weekend I spotted a big old rusting anchor while out with the family for a picnic.  Between that, and the stuff Garfy had posted, I got to thinking about my terrain collection, which bar a few smaller pieces, is largely sat in undercoated ignominy.
Lots of interesting elemental effects
Sitting in my hobby room looking at some things I had lying around, I noticed my metallic Mr Metal Colour paint range which I picked up over a year ago with the intention of using on the Titan that languishes on my shelf.  I'd not tried it since buying it, but it is essentially a paint range scale modellers use to get a rich, somewhat buff-able metallic finish.  The FW Masterclass book 2 uses a somewhat similar product on the Reaver Titan demonstration piece.

I pulled out a spare resin plinth I got as part of the 'bag 'o crap' promo Secret Weapon Miniatures had run over the Christmas period and splashed some of the metallic around.  I then went away and read some reviews on how this stuff is meant to work.  In one of those it mentioned overlaying some of the colours onto each other to get different effects.

So I gave that a try, as the Copper colour I picked up seems to want to be patinated copper rather than the fresh kind.  So a few experiments later using the metal paint, plus some oil paint and some AK Interactive washes and I had some interesting effects cropping up.
After trying different colour combos and different weathering effects - the circled bit is what I want to aim for
I then thought about what I could try this out on and after a bit of a think and a rummage in the shed, I pulled out these pieces.

The first is my Imperial Martyr statue (or insert real name hear).  When I set a table with terrain I invariably set it up along certain angles and lines, generally with a plaza space in the centre.  This terrain piece is intended as my centrepiece for that plaza space.  I imagine it as a fountain which has had its retaining wall cracked by artillery/explosives.  I want to have an aged metallic look to the statue, with a bit of stagnant water pooling out of the base, and maybe some tide markings on the inside wall.
So stern - he's not happy about the dust situation
To help me get that look I am going to use some of the weathering material I've picked up over the years and never had the gumption to use.  I'm imagining at this stage a dirty grey stone work on the statue plinth, with blue/grey outer walls, dirtied up with powders on the inside.  The outer base will be my standard brown/tan basing process, but the inside I want to add some green to that to suggest sediment like you see in an old duck pond.  I'll add some water effect to the inner section to suggest pooling water.

The other piece I pulled out of the shed is sandbag/hastily erected debris pile.  I started painting this probably 3 years ago and then stopped - that's terrible when I think about it.  I'm going to spruce up the existing work and finish the piece off.
A simple sandbag/scatter terrain piece using plaster and some odds and sods
The reverse hides an ammo/radio cache

I'm hoping getting something as simple as this stuff done will reignite my mojo and get me going again on the actual miniatures.  With the imminent release of the new Ork Codex I should hopefully get this terrain finished and be fully pumped by all the crazy new stuff I'll see in my blog roll to knock out the boys that have been languishing since the last game and maybe start on the next batch, or a Death Kopta!

Cheers all,

Muppet

6 comments:

  1. Paint that you can polish.... that sounds interesting. I'm trying to work out how that would go on a 28mm model. Did you grab that paint on-line?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having nicely made and painted terrain can make a huge difference. Most of the terrain I have was made like 10 years ago, ha ha. I really should get back into it...

    Your work on that plinth looks really nice. The weathering is top notch! Going back and adding similar effects to older pieces of terrain is a great idea. It should breath new life into them.

    I look forward in seeing what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Adam, unfortunately my scaled up experiments on the statue last night did not get me the same results my tests on that plinth generate d. I'm having to think some more about how things look at the larger scale and see how far I should be trying to take the look I was after.

      A nicely done board helps sell the game I think - that's why it was always so good to play on the GW tables at the local store - the boards were always well presented.

      Delete
    2. The other thing I learned last night is I need to have more patience. Rushing between stages just leads to balls ups. I envy you and the other lads the patience you have to take your time with your builds to get it right the first time. There's a lesson there for me.

      Delete
  3. Oh, this looks absolutely fab! I love the debris pile in particular.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Drax. When I built my table years ago I used offcuts and bits and bobs to make a number of different barricades and set pieces including an ammo dump, fuel dump, various barricades etc. If these current ones come up alright I might pull some more out and weave in between other things in the paint queue.

      Delete