The other week Garfy over at Tale of Painters posted about the terrain he was doing up in homage to, and to complement the second edition box set he was painting up. To say I was impressed is an understatement - he turned a simple idea, using some very basic terrain bits, into some quite handy terrain that perfectly suited the set.
Then over the weekend I spotted a big old rusting anchor while out with the family for a picnic. Between that, and the stuff Garfy had posted, I got to thinking about my terrain collection, which bar a few smaller pieces, is largely sat in undercoated ignominy.
|Lots of interesting elemental effects|
I pulled out a spare resin plinth I got as part of the 'bag 'o crap' promo Secret Weapon Miniatures had run over the Christmas period and splashed some of the metallic around. I then went away and read some reviews on how this stuff is meant to work. In one of those it mentioned overlaying some of the colours onto each other to get different effects.
So I gave that a try, as the Copper colour I picked up seems to want to be patinated copper rather than the fresh kind. So a few experiments later using the metal paint, plus some oil paint and some AK Interactive washes and I had some interesting effects cropping up.
|After trying different colour combos and different weathering effects - the circled bit is what I want to aim for|
The first is my Imperial Martyr statue (or insert real name hear). When I set a table with terrain I invariably set it up along certain angles and lines, generally with a plaza space in the centre. This terrain piece is intended as my centrepiece for that plaza space. I imagine it as a fountain which has had its retaining wall cracked by artillery/explosives. I want to have an aged metallic look to the statue, with a bit of stagnant water pooling out of the base, and maybe some tide markings on the inside wall.
|So stern - he's not happy about the dust situation|
The other piece I pulled out of the shed is sandbag/hastily erected debris pile. I started painting this probably 3 years ago and then stopped - that's terrible when I think about it. I'm going to spruce up the existing work and finish the piece off.
|A simple sandbag/scatter terrain piece using plaster and some odds and sods|
|The reverse hides an ammo/radio cache|
I'm hoping getting something as simple as this stuff done will reignite my mojo and get me going again on the actual miniatures. With the imminent release of the new Ork Codex I should hopefully get this terrain finished and be fully pumped by all the crazy new stuff I'll see in my blog roll to knock out the boys that have been languishing since the last game and maybe start on the next batch, or a Death Kopta!