Friday, 1 January 2016

075. 2015 ends and the Green Tide in review...

Well 2015 has drawn to a close - I just missed out on getting a final post up for the year as Blogger was playing funny buggers with the upload function.  I thought the best way to wrap up 2015 was a quick and dirty post showing off where the Green Tide ended up this year given it was the focus of my attention all year (with a bit of meandering occurring midyear).

The photo quality isn't great seeing as they were taken under the rubbish lights in my dining room where I had the space to lay it all out.  I'm also still using just the phone to take the pictures - I really should borrow the missus' apple as that at least has a better camera than my Samsung.  Maybe next year we might invest in a proper camera.
The Green Tide as at 1 January 2016
The right limb
And the left limb
I think I can say more than half the force is now painted - with 85% of what is painted painted in 2015!
The other Mob of 20 Boys that need painting - these weren't part of my pledge this year unlike the other Mob which I did manage to paint
And the Shoota Boy Mob also needs some attention - again not part of this years pledge
All the Nobs are done barring the second (modified) copy of the Black Reach Warboss
A profile of the second Warboss - I changed up his Power Klaw and converted his Twin Linked Shoota into a Kombi Skorcha
The Big Lad himself - Ghaz - and his two lackey Shoota Nobs (there's no place for them in the Nob Mob).  I didn't end up getting the time to Start Ghaz as part of my December stretch target as I chose to spend the time with the missus and kid instead and enjoy the festivities of this time of year.
As with Ghaz - I didn't end up getting back to the Big Guns crew before the end of the year so they are still languishing in a semi painted state.  I'll finish them this next week before I take stock of my Chaos stuff.
The Kans were done this year, but the Dread wasn't looked at as part of the pledge.  He'll have to wait until a later date to see some colour on him.
I kind of forgot I had this - its a Killkrusha tank and a right shite to got together being of an earlier FW design philosophy.  I found him in a box under the bed in the spare room I use as my hobby room - I built him up slowly each night after Xmas.
So that's the state of the Green Tide - I made massive progress on it by my standards this year, getting to a point where more than half is painted and I can actually see a point where I will have a fully painted army again, which is something I haven't had since I was 12 or 13 with my first Ultramarine force.  All up it comes in at around 2,000 - 2,500 points depending on what extra kit and gubbins I give each unit.  Young Col. Ackland made an impulse purchase of around 200 Orks earlier this month and has floated ideas of running a Savage Ork list complete with Squiggoths!!!! which should turn into a fun match up if we ever get around to having a Waagh v Waagh mash up.

This year was light on gaming which is understandable since most of the lads have jobs, spouses and their own little sprogs to work around.  Talking to Ackland earlier this month we really need to try harder this year (2016) for more frequent catchups to game or just hobby.  Painting alone in my back room and engaging with the lads on face book is one thing (similarly engaging with you wonderful folk on the old blog), but nothing beats regular time face to face with others who share enthusiasm for the hobby to really rev me up and motivate me to keep pushing on.

As always its been lovely having people comment on the blog - its refreshing to know others are reading along with me and taking the time to comment about what I am putting up.  I try each day to follow along with my blog roll and comment on as many blogs as catch my eye.


So here's hoping you all have had a lovely and safe new years, and that 2016 is full of more awesome releases for whatever system floats your boat, you all carry on enjoying this diverse hobby of ours, and you all keep posting away giving me something to read, laugh at, and have a natter on.

My next post will be a breakdown of my painting goals for 2016, having taken stock of my Lost and the Damned situation.


Cheers all,


Liam

14 comments:

  1. Some great progress dude, you should be proud of what you achieved, it looks awesome :)

    Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Orks. Mine have suffered due to a severe lack of available time but that may have to change. Grukk Facerippa needs a green stuff beret and some Blood Axe camo applied. Maybe that Stompa as well before prices go up again. Nice work and a Happy New Year..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Ady - I've always thought about getting a Stompa. I have Warhound Titan and a Baneblade for my Imperials, so a Stompa for the Xenos scum would go down a treat.

      Delete
  3. Great mob you've got started there! And more painted (and great looking) than not, congrats on that for 2015. I'm voting for the nice big synopses stompa to round them out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe - I was happy to get so much painted, it was refreshing.

      Delete
  4. Awesome stuff, man! Happy new year to ya!

    I see you had "forgotten huge tank syndrome" too. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha - yeah. I picked up the tank earlier in the year and its been sat in the box with a pile of Imperial Armour books on top for too long. The missus was having a rant about the state of the room and during my cleanup I found it. I'm normally one to build as soon as I buy, so it was unusual to find something stuffed away and not sat on the shelf already.

      Delete
  5. And here's a huge FW tank that my mind had erased from my memory in self defence coz we all know what the instructions are like...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha - the instructions weren't actually that bad - it was just the build itself that was a pain. Track links in multiple parts, individual bogeys and running wheels, a twisted side etc - drove me nuts and almost saw it thrown against the wall in frustration at one point. But its built now so theres that.

      Delete
  6. Very well done mate. Such good work and not all that much left to get done either. I haven't had a fully painted force since my original Squats from when I was a lad. (Tho my FoW Canadians could be considered done I guess)

    Add my voice to the stompa vote, only I say make your own custom one from a Mr potato head.

    Happy new year sir!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dai. I think the converted Mr Potato Head Stompa is one of those all time greatest minis I've ever come across

      Delete
  7. That is one fine looking ork army! You have done so much painting, it is hard for me to believe. The thought of an entire painted army is all but a foreign concept to me :D

    Also, you were selected as one of the winners Between the Bolter and Me's Best Models of 2015! If you could contact us at: betweenthebolterandme@gmail.com, we can send the model out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha - it's still foreign to me too mate!

      Cheers - I'll drop you a line shortly.

      Delete